Message from Somerset County Council’s Corporate Parents
We are fully committed to being the most effective and trustworthy ‘corporate parent’ we can be for any child or young person in our care. It doesn’t matter how old they are, their gender, sexuality, ethnicity, faith or ability.
Every good parent knows that children need a safe and nurturing environment to grow and thrive.
- Good parents protect and support their children to cope with the dangers and risks of everyday life
- Good parents are ambitious for their children and work hard to support them to reach their potential
- Good parents celebrate and share in their children’s achievements, big or small
As a child or young person cared for by us, you have the right to expect everything from us that you would expect from any good parent in the community.
In March 2020 Somerset County Council signed the national Care Leaver’s Covenant and committed to meeting its five core outcomes
- Care leavers are better prepared and supported to live independently
- Care leavers have improved access to employment, education and training
- Care leavers experience stability in their lives and feel safe and secure
- Care leavers have improved access to health and emotional support
- Care leavers achieve financial stability
The Covenant is a promise made by the private, public and voluntary sectors to provide support for care leavers aged 16 to 25 to help them live independently.