Social and private landlords

Getting rented accommodation

District Councils and Housing Associations –  It is really rare for 18 or 19 year olds to get their own Council or Housing Association flat.

From the age of 18 you can register for social housing through the district council and housing associations website ‘Homefinders Somerset’. Care leavers are a priority group for this sort of housing but there are more people who want it than there are places.

Everyone who registers is expected to prove that they can be a successful tenant before the council or housing association will put them forward for a flat.

This is why completing the Tenant Accreditation Scheme (TAS) can really help you.

Private Housing – This is where you rent from a landlord, either through a letting agency or directly. There can sometimes be problems with landlords not accepting people on benefits or who are in college.

Sometimes private landlords also want someone to act as a guarantor (someone who agrees to pay your rent if you don’t pay it), in case the rent isn’t paid or to cover the cost of any damage caused. Again, completing the TAS may help you get a rented property.