Information if you are a care leaver with special educational needs or a disability

If you are a care leaver with special educational needs or a disability (SEND) it may be that you are entitled to different types of support with getting ready for adult life, including with your accommodation and benefits.

“The more opportunities we have to make decisions in our lives, the more confident we will become. By making our own decisions we can accept challenges, understand risk and learn from mistakes. This is okay!”

We will make sure you are linked with the right people to help you, so that you get the right support and benefit payments.

If you are supported through Adult Social Care, because you are over 18, we will work closely with you and your social worker to make sure you’re getting the help and support you are entitled to and need.

Your Personal Adviser will help you make the claims for financial support that you might be entitled to and they’ll help you to use your money to help you with your life opportunities or to save towards future needs.

See the Local Offer for Young People with SEND or contact the information and advice service SENDIAS

Benefits Information, including Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment, the Disability Alliance website or phone the Benefit Enquiry line – 0800 882200,.

More information for your journey to adult life