Types of support you might receive

The different types of Care Leaver and the support they can get

The types of support you might receive vary, depending on which type of care leaver you are.

Types of Care Leaver

These are links to the Coram Voice website, which explain what each type of Care Leaver is.

This table explains what support the different types of Care Leaver can expect.

Type of SupportEligibleRelevantFormer relevantFormer relevant (21 - 25)Qualifying
An Assessment of your needs to help understand what advice, support is needed.YesYesYesYesYes
Pathway plan and 6 monthly reviews (we review and update this with you regularly, including when your circumstances change)YesYesYesYes (if you have a PA and still receiving a Leaving Care service)No
A Personal AdviserYesYesYesYes (if your assessment tells us you need one)Yes (if your assessment tells us need one
Provide suitable

Financial support for day to day livingYesYesNoNoNo
Help with your education,

training and employment
Advice and guidanceYesYesYesYesYes
Regular visits and contact from your Personal Adviser (or re-establish contact with you)YesYesYesYes (if needed)Yes (if needed)
Reviews of your pathway plan at least every 6 months. It will be chaired by your IRO whilst you remain looked after – then by either you, or your Personal Adviser after that.YesYesYesNoNo
An initial health assessment by a qualified medical
practitioner, then a review health assessment every 12 month until you are 18
Support for education and training (including financial support as agreed in your pathway plan)YesYesYesYesYes
A setting up home allowance (SUHA) of up to £2,138 (usually when you are setting up on your own, and you are still in your final placementYesYesYesYesNo
A higher education bursary of £2,000, if in higher education (for a 3 year course)NoNoYesYesYes
A higher education bursary of £2,000, if in higher education (for a 3 year course)YesYesYesYesYes